[Hpn] new shelter

Bonnie Briggs s248_1132@hotmail.com
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 08:45:06 -0700 (PDT)

<BIG SNIP>
>For example, there are now three different stages of shelter. In the first
>stage, women are housed four to a room in doorless cubicles with linoleum
>floors.
<BIG SNIP>

General
Hi Sally,
  Doorless rooms? What, no privacy? So, what you're saying is first, you
strip away whatever small trace of dignity they have because you don't trust
them. How is that going to help you build trust with them? How are they
supposed to get undressed for bed at night if there's no door on the room?
Also, some women may feel comfortable undressing in front of other women.
So, you not only strip their dignity, you also strip their modesty. This new
shelter may be good, but if I was homeless, there's no way I would stay
there. Homeless women lose everything when they are on the street. Losing
their dignity and their modesty is too high a price to pay for a decnt
shelter. You're treating these women no better than Society treats them. If
these women are to have any chance of improving their lives and getting off
the streets and improving their self-esteem, they need to be trusted and
shown that they are worthy people. Putting them in doorless rooms and
mistrusting them doesn't do that. You may not think you're mistrusting them,
but that's the message you're sending them. I would strongly suggest that
you re-think your policy. These people deserve to be treated with the same
respect the rest of of us are treated with. You wouldn't ask a housed woman
to live in a fishbowl. Would  you live in a doorless room with four other
people you didn't know? Think aboutit.
Bonnie