[Hpn] shelter closing

mail.ids.net homey@ids.net
Fri, 28 Apr 2000 23:48:24 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_005F_01BFB16C.3E2EC4E0

------=_NextPart_001_0060_01BFB16C.3E2EC4E0

 Apr 28, 17:53 EDT=20
                         =20
            Shelter closes early, residents left scrambling=20
           =20
            By Peter Small
            Toronto Star Staff Reporter=20
            Chris Nicolson and Leanne Gudgeon had it all planned. They =
were going to stay in Street Relief shelter until Sunday, then on Monday =
move into a small downtown apartment they had found.=20

            But Thursday evening the two 17-year-olds and other shelter =
residents were given 12 hours notice that it would be their last night.=20

            That left them scrambling Friday.=20

            ''So now we have to spend three days on the streets living =
wherever until we get our apartment,'' said Nicolson yesterday.=20

            ''Plus I'm three months pregnant,'' added Gudgeon.=20

            The couple were among 20 homeless people in a first-floor =
foyer of the former site of Princess Margaret Hospital on Sherbourne St. =
north of Wellesley making hasty arrangements to leave.=20

            The provincial government, which owns the former hospital =
site, offered it to the city as a temporary shelter between Dec. 15 and =
this Sunday, April 30.=20

            But on Thursday shelter staff suddenly learned they would =
have move all their residents out yesterday.=20

            The Canadian Red Cross, which manages the shelter under =
contract to the city, said they got word of the early closing from =
hostel services officials only late this week.=20

            John Jagt, Toronto's director of hostel services, says the =
city has made it clear for weeks that it wanted the homeless out a few =
days early to give shelter staff time to clean it up. He added that it =
would be easier for the homeless to find alternative beds on a weekday =
than a weekend, when fewer services are running.=20

            Jagt could not say exactly when his staff informed the Red =
Cross of the Friday closing. ''There has been a communication problem,'' =
he said.=20

            No residents will be left without alternative accommodation, =
Jagt added.=20

            But Nicolson and Gudgeon complained, as did other couples, =
that the shelter they were offered, 60 Richmond, is unsafe or =
unsuitable.=20

            Jagt said he had heard of no problems with the shelter, =
which operates 60 beds and takes couples, but separates them.=20
            =20

=

Shelter closes early, residents left scrambling=20

By Peter Small
Toronto Star Staff Reporter=20

Chris=20 Nicolson and Leanne Gudgeon had it all planned. They were = going to=20 stay in Street Relief shelter until Sunday, then on Monday = move into=20 a small downtown apartment they had found.=20

But Thursday evening the two 17-year-olds and other = shelter=20 residents were given 12 hours notice that it would be their = last=20 night.=20

That left them scrambling Friday.=20

''So now we have to spend three days on the streets = living=20 wherever until we get our apartment,'' said Nicolson = yesterday.=20

''Plus I'm three months pregnant,'' added Gudgeon.=20

The couple were among 20 homeless people in a first-floor = foyer=20 of the former site of Princess Margaret Hospital on = Sherbourne St.=20 north of Wellesley making hasty arrangements to leave.=20

The provincial government, which owns the former hospital = site,=20 offered it to the city as a temporary shelter between Dec. = 15 and=20 this Sunday, April 30.=20

But on Thursday shelter staff suddenly learned they would = have=20 move all their residents out yesterday.=20

The Canadian Red Cross, which manages the shelter under = contract=20 to the city, said they got word of the early closing from = hostel=20 services officials only late this week.=20

John Jagt, Toronto's director of hostel services, says = the city=20 has made it clear for weeks that it wanted the homeless out = a few=20 days early to give shelter staff time to clean it up. He = added that=20 it would be easier for the homeless to find alternative beds = on a=20 weekday than a weekend, when fewer services are running.=20

Jagt could not say exactly when his staff informed the = Red Cross=20 of the Friday closing. ''There has been a communication = problem,''=20 he said.=20

No residents will be left without alternative = accommodation, Jagt=20 added.=20

But Nicolson and Gudgeon complained, as did other = couples, that=20 the shelter they were offered, 60 Richmond, is unsafe or = unsuitable.=20 =20

Jagt said he had heard of no problems with the shelter, = which=20 operates 60 beds and takes couples, but separates them.=20

------=_NextPart_001_0060_01BFB16C.3E2EC4E0-- ------=_NextPart_000_005F_01BFB16C.3E2EC4E0 Content-Type: image/gif Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-ID: <005701bfb18d$c54064e0$dddfd49b@oemcomputer> R0lGODlhAQABAIAAAAAAAAAAACH5BAQUAP8ALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw== ------=_NextPart_000_005F_01BFB16C.3E2EC4E0--