[Hpn] wow

mail.ids.net homey@ids.net
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 22:52:51 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_006E_01BFB09B.5137E3E0

I was really stunned by this unknown law..
Catalina

Advocates for homeless seek to lift restrictions on workers=20
By Associated Press, 4/27/2000 00:23=20
BOSTON (AP) Homeless shelters are backing a lawsuit that seeks to change =
a state rule that bars human service programs like homeless shelters and =
drug addiction treatment programs from hiring candidates with certain =
crimes in their pasts.=20

Philip Mangano, executive director of the Massachusetts Housing and =
Shelter Alliance, said the rule ''compromises the effectiveness of adult =
shelter providers' programs because the providers are unable to hire =
rehabilitated ex-offenders who are often the most highly qualified =
candidates for jobs in adult shelter programs.''=20

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Suffolk Superior Court, challenges a rule =
written by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services.=20

''We continue to stand by the ... policy as the most effective policy =
tool that we have to protect society's most vulnerable citizens,'' said =
Rich Copp, a spokesman for the EOHHS.=20

Mangano said in a statement that the ex-convicts who have been =
rehabilitated could serve as mentors and role models for homeless =
shelter clients.=20

Shelter officials said that anyone convicted of larceny of more than =
$250 is barred for 10 years from working in a homeless shelter, but they =
believed it should be left to the discretion of the shelter.=20

Those convicted of trafficking in cocaine are barred for life from =
working in shelters. That also should be left up to the employer, said =
Karen LaFrazia, another official at the Massachusetts Housing and =
Shelter Alliance.=20

[ Send this story to a friend | Easy-print version ]=20

------=_NextPart_000_006E_01BFB09B.5137E3E0

I was really stunned by this unknown law..

Catalina

Advocates for homeless seek to lift restrictions on workers =

By Associated Press, 4/27/2000 00:23=20

BOSTON (AP) Homeless shelters are backing a lawsuit that = seeks to=20 change a state rule that bars human service programs like homeless = shelters and=20 drug addiction treatment programs from hiring candidates with certain = crimes in=20 their pasts.=20

Philip Mangano, executive director of the Massachusetts Housing and = Shelter=20 Alliance, said the rule ''compromises the effectiveness of adult shelter = providers' programs because the providers are unable to hire = rehabilitated=20 ex-offenders who are often the most highly qualified candidates for jobs = in=20 adult shelter programs.''=20

The lawsuit, filed Monday in Suffolk Superior Court, challenges a = rule=20 written by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services.=20

''We continue to stand by the ... policy as the most effective policy = tool=20 that we have to protect society's most vulnerable citizens,'' said Rich = Copp, a=20 spokesman for the EOHHS.=20

Mangano said in a statement that the ex-convicts who have been = rehabilitated=20 could serve as mentors and role models for homeless shelter clients.=20

Shelter officials said that anyone convicted of larceny of more than = $250 is=20 barred for 10 years from working in a homeless shelter, but they = believed it=20 should be left to the discretion of the shelter.=20

Those convicted of trafficking in cocaine are barred for life from = working in=20 shelters. That also should be left up to the employer, said Karen = LaFrazia,=20 another official at the Massachusetts Housing and Shelter Alliance.=20

[ Send this story to a friend | = Easy-print=20 version ]

------=_NextPart_000_006E_01BFB09B.5137E3E0--