[Hpn] Re: Elian Gonzales

Restore Hope in America poverty@mtolympus.ari.net
Wed, 26 Apr 2000 17:34:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, unclescam wrote:

> one more,
>      your hooligans are my peace demonstrators and anti wto resisters, or
> fathers/abortion/indigenous peoples rights marchers. i don't want the army to stop
> them either.

ON the contrary - the hooligans I am speaking of are the Cuban exiles who
supported breaking the law by stating that they would use every means
necessary to stop the police or any one else from taking the kid back.
Now, if you have a crowd of hundreds who have promised to bring in
thousands to stop you from doing something (removing Elian from an
unlawful hostage situation rife with child abuse) - how are you going to
accomplish that peacefully? I agree with anti-violence measures, but lets
not get ridiculous about it. What happened in Miami was correct based on
all the information available to Reno at the time. Rather than you and I
continuing this, read the reports of experts who study these situations.
And do so with an open mind, and not with the thought that those who were
holding the kid are going to just turn him over peacefully. They stated
dozens of times that they would not do so under any circumstances.

David R. Quammen
Restore Hope In America

The Sticky Wicket: Poverty's Home Page
http://www2.ari.net/home/poverty/