[Hpn] Re: Elian Gonzales

Restore Hope in America poverty@mtolympus.ari.net
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:52:13 -0400 (EDT)

Support Attorney General Reno - Chastise Anti-Family GOP Leaders

As you all know, many Republicans have decided to call for hearings
on Attorney General Renos decision to liberate Elian from his Miami
relatives. Personally, I completely support what she did, and do not
believe that it was excessive. If anything, it came far later than it
should have. IMO, the Miami relatives used Elian solely for political
purposes  with complete disregard for the wishes of his father.

I contacted the Attorney Generals office today and found it difficult
to get through - the reason was that many people are calling her and
the majority of it is in support of what she did. The same was true of
the main number for Congress - that is, it was busy - but I do not know
what the majority opinion was. My guess is that it was in support of
Reno and against the Republican leaders who want investigations.

I intend to send both a fax and email to Attorney General Reno to
express my own support of her actions. I also intend to contact the
Republican congressmen who have been the most vocal against her
and ask them how they can claim any Family Values given that the
wishes of Elians father were ignored so completely, and then for
political reasons.

If any of you would like to do the same, I am including contact
information for the key players in this fiasco.

David R. Quammen
Restore Hope In America

The Sticky Wicket: Poverty's Home Page
http://www2.ari.net/home/poverty/

Attorney General Janet Reno
email web@usdoj.gov
FAX - 202 307-6777
House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill)
tel	(202) 225-2976
email	speaker@mail.house.gov
FAX	(202) 225-0697

Henry J. Hyde (R-Ill), Chair, House Judiciary Committee
tel	(202) 225-4561
WEB	www.house.gov/hyde/
FAX 	(not available)

House Majority Whip Tom Delay (R-Tex)
tel	(202) 225-5951
email	on WEB site at tomdelay.house.gov
FAX	(202) 225-5241
(note: DeLay does not accept email messages from those outside his
district in Texas)

Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott (R-Miss)
tel	(202) 224-6253
email	lott.senate.gov
FAX	(202) 224-2262