[Hpn] Fw: Homeless Targeted Assistance Continuum of Care FY 2000

I CAN! icanamerica@email.msn.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 08:39:32 -0500

Have you seen our memo concerning the HUD SuperNOFA Continuum of Care for
rural areas last week?

We sent it to the Coalition's master email address, but do not know if you
received a copy. <see below>

Dear Regional Homeless & Housing Advocate:

On the live HUD Broadcast today (April 18), a question was poised by a State
about a "Balance of State" or "Statewide" Continuum of Care Application for
11 Regional Homeless Coalitions that cover 26 rural counties. A State employee
asked how to best show gaps, linkage and or project priorities in a State
wide C of C application.

In our opinion, the answers were best given by the Fred Karnas, Asst. Secretary
of HUD and Mr. John Garrity, Director of the SNAPS program, as something
like: "The challenge you will face is bringing all the 11 regions together
in the holistic nature of the Continuum."

"I am not sure HOW you would do a gaps analysis chart that is reflective
of the 26 counties and their linkage" and "Be sure in your State Application
that you can show HUD how the parts are logically connected, leveraged and
linked to work together."

The participants were the following: Dr. Fred Karnas, John Garrity, Jean
Waverly, Cliff Taggert, Mark Johnson - we consider these the five most
knowledgeable
people in the Homeless Assistance Program and Continuum of Care planning
process.

The broadcast was about 90 min and we suggest that you view this one and
the prior one on *Continuum of Care* from the HUD SuperNOFA Internet Library
if you are serious about getting funded this year.

<See the library at: http://www.hud.gov/webcasts/suprnofa.html for:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Continuum of Care (English / Spanish) (3/29/2000)
This program will provide you with an overview of the Continuum of Care FY
2000 notice of funding availability. ( 164 min.)

HOPWA & Continuum of Care Q & A Session (English / Spanish) (04/18/2000)

This program is to provide a question and answer session for the Housing
Opportunities for People With AIDS (HOPWA) and Continuum of Care FY2000 notice
of funds available. ( 86 min.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comments and notes by I CAN! America:

1. We do not believe it likely for a Continuum of Care Planning Process to
earn sufficient scoring points to be funded in FY 2000 without watching these
two training videos, taking notes, and considering the direct instructions
and discussions of these and the other HUD SuperNOFA Internet Video Training
Broadcasts, and then following the written NOFA packages literally word for
word and chart for chart.

2. It appears that there will be three (3) to six (6) applications turned
in for every ONE that is funded this year. Everyone has talked about the
many changes from the 1999 to the FY 2000 SuperNOFA that improved the C of
C, and we agree, but it is also an even more competitive and accountable
local or regional grant package this year.

3. The key words for last year and now even more for FY 2000 are: Linkage,
Linkage, Linkage - And  - Leverage, Leverage, Leverage  among the many
alternative
and mainstream sources of funding and services.

4. In our opinion, there will not be many State wide proposals that will
earn high scoring points this year. It appears to us that the focus in the
written NOFA documents and the scoring patterns seem to negate any advantage
a statewide proposal may have had in prior years. This does allow further
and deeper involvement by regional and rural coalitions and levels the table
of funding distribution to more sites for more results. [This is one of HUD's
goals in the NOFA]

Although we do not believe HUD has made any attempt to alter the Statewide
Continuums that are working, the FY 2000 C of C appears to provide a wider
range of options to smaller core cities and rural regions outside of major
MSA's.

Remember, the HUD Continuum of Care itself, is a Strategic *Visioning and
Planning* process that, by its very nature, produces greater results in a
more connected, linked and wholitistic manner within a smaller area of
contiguous
cities and counties [and is suggested in the Federal Register NOFA notice
as one of the alternatives to be considered.]

5. So, what is HUD's recommendation? - *NONE*

Because this is a national competition, HUD staff can only advise participants
by repeating the technical answer that everyone has received, again this
year, "Consider all of your options and choose the one you consider most
appropriate for your local, regional, and state conditions. If you have
questions,
please call your local HUD field office and discuss your ideas with them."

**Our opinion is that a Regional Homeless and Housing Coalition covering
a number of contiguous counties is the most solid and workable approach,
now and for the future.

These Regional Coalitions, while solving local problems, can then join together
into a coordinated Statewide Coalition and express a much more complete picture
and voice at the State level. A good example of this is the State of Minnesota
where they have multiplied resources several times at both the local and
Statewide levels.**

Homelessness and Housing will always be a local problem seeking local solutions
supported and applied by local people.

The HUD Continuum of Care Planning Process brings these local and other regional
resources from the community to the table. We have not yet seen any Statewide
Planning Process accomplish this.
------------------------------------

If you have any questions or wish to discuss this further, please do not
hesitate to call your local HUD field office, or call us tool free
1.800.678.5774
or write icanamerica@email.com .

Sonny
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
H. C. Covington, Executive Director
I CAN! America, LLC
Management & Resource Consultants
icanamerica@msn.com
Homeless & Housing Resource Center
http://www.icanamerica.intranets.com
1.800.678.5774 Fax 1.505.209.2619

Note:
This notice is from a private nonprofit consulting firm. All statements and
assertions are our own opinions and do not purport to represent views or
instructions of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) or
any other Federal, State, County, or City Agency.