[Hpn] Free Meditation Retreats

John Lionheart johnlionheart@mailcity.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 00:57:34 -0700

Hi, This is to let all the homeless advocates out there know about the California
Vipassanna Center in North Fork, California and their great 10-day retreats. These are
silent meditation retreats with free room and board. There is no obligation to pay or
reciprocate anything ever, and are provided with the highest integrity and goodwill.

For those unfamiliar with Vipassanna, it is an simple but ancient Buddhist mediation
practice from Burma, a non-sectarian technique they say 'rediscovered' by the Buddha
2500 years ago and practiced in purity and isolation in Burma until after WW2 when it
came out from there. There are now centers all over. 3 in the US.. 27 in India.

Vipassana is very popular in (starving) India as you might imagine, where 1000's of
people attend each of the many monthly retreats. How do they survive financially? They exist solely on the voluntary contributions of 'old' students (ones with 2 or more
retreats under their belt). So sure is Vipassanna's effectiveness as a meditation
technique that contributions are not accepted from first time students less one feel
pressured or exploited.

Is it a cult? Hardly. There are no 'religious' beliefs expounded at all. And there are
strict rules at the retreat centers: no talking, no eye contact; no physical contact (not even hand shaking); strict segregation of the sexes; nor are there demands for money or anything else (however old students are expected to 'serve' occasionally i.e,
prepare food, clean rooms, etc.). Nor is there any expectation to do a certain number of "courses" (retreats). You can do 1, 2, or 10 retreats, at the frequency of your choosing.

It is very hard work however. The morning gong rings at 4:30 and you spend most of the day sitting in the meditation hall meditating. You are expected to sit quietly with little fidgeting (cushions are provided). There is a teacher, usually a monk or similar, who gives meditation instruction, and sometimes there is recorded chanting. (ancient, very cool!) And there is time for rest, for eating. Lights out early. No talking
or communicating in the dorms (spartan accomodations, but clean towels and sheets, etc are provided too).

Note to unhoused folk: You CAN NOT stay on, or live at a Vipassanna center. (Except
dedicated servers may do so after attending many retreats and serving many more).

More notes: The California Vipassana Center is in North Fork, a rural area 20 miles east
of Fresno, 50-miles south of Yosemite. You will probably need a car, or they have a ride board and can help find you a ride (or riders who might be able to chip in gas).
And you need to formally apply to take a course. You can get an application online or by calling them.

urls:
main info: http://www.dhamma.org
CA center: http://www.dhamma.org/schcalif.htm
  P. O. Box 1167; North Fork, Calif. 93643;
 Tel: (559) 877-4386; Fax: (559) 877-4387;
  E-Mail: info@mahavana.dhamma.org
---
John@iPoet.com
http://www.iPoet.com