[HPN] Fw: care or kill

Bill Tinker wtinker@fcgnetworks.net
Mon, 17 Apr 2000 19:26:18 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BFA8A2.CE3F81A0

----- Original Message -----=20
From: missdruk=20
To: William Tinker=20
Cc: William Tinker=20
Sent: Sunday, April 16, 2000 7:24 PM
Subject: care or kill

Dear Wiliam, I have read your email"to care or kill".
I did n't know about the study in my country. But i do know about having =
so much pain that one considers to end it. Especially when there's no =
hope for a cure, no more hope for a human worth life.I have been there =
too. I will tell you about it later on in this letter.
But first "human worth".That's a litterally translation from our dutch =
word "menswaardig".It 's the edge/measure we use for the animals we =
love.For instance a dog who has been someones pall for 14 years and =
appears to have  cancer.In that case the owner asks himself : will the =
dog be able to enjoy staying alive , will he be able to have a "human =
worth"existance with this disease?(Strange that we ask that question =
when it concerns an animal.)When the answer is "no", it is an accepted  =
deed of mercy  to make the dog sleep forever. It is not an easy decision =
(I had to make such a decision last october),but the owner of the dog =
comforts himself with the thought that he saved his dog an awfull way to =
his end.
The difficulty is in specifying "human worth"life.In the case of a dog, =
the specification is easier to make.To specify the same for a human =
being is much more complicated.The dog has no other choice than relying =
on our decision.A human being has a right to choose for himself. But he =
'd better be wise and subscribe the moment that life should have no more =
meaning to him before that moment comes.He might not be capable to take =
the decision anymore when it has to be decided (e.g. coma, severe brain =
damage).
I can 't find the word "euthanasie" in the dictionairy.It's from the =
ancient greek language. "Eu" means "good" and "thanathos" means "death".
When is it a good thing to let someone die?I think that's different in =
each case.
It should n't be the task of the same doctor that tried to cure =
someone.The safest way might be writing a kind of will when we are still =
capable.Like we write codicils for the use of our organs when we are in =
good health.(Maybe that's different in your country. We have socalled =
donorcodicils.That gives permission to use the organs of the carrier of =
the codicil after his death.)We can point a good friend for helping =
commiting "euthansie" in case we are not capable to do it ourselves.
Yes, I think a man has the right to decide when his life should be =
ended.But that decision has to be made for strictly physical reasons and =
when one has full consiousness.
In '96 I was in the hospital because of a disease of my nervous system. =
I was paralized and had awfull pains.I was getting more pain each day. I =
did n't get a  painkiller that really killed the pain; not even a little =
bit.
The pain kept me awake day and night.I could n't eat.The doctors could =
n't find the cause of my pain. They could n't do anything to ease the =
pain a little .After 2 months I had so much pain that I did n't want to =
see my children anymore.There was n't anything human left of me and I =
did n't want my children to see me that way. I did n't want them to have =
memories at me in the shape I was in at that moment.I said to myself =
:"This is a pain I can't bear anymore.It's so much pain that there is no =
more room for life.If it gets just a little more worse I will call an =
old friend of mine , who works in a center for adicts, and I will ask =
him to bring me something to take an overdose."=20
Then I was brought to another hospital for a second opinion.In a few =
days they had found the cause of my pain : my nervous system was =
breaking down itself and broke the inside of my "electricity-wires "(you =
can compare nerves with that : an isolating outside and a conducting =
inside. )
In this second hospital the pain stopped growing.I finally received a =
pain killer that pushed the pain to the background a few hours a day and =
thus allowed me to sleep a little bit finally.So I did n't make the =
call.But I did tell my friend about the plan I had and asked him to do =
it if ever needed.
But one has to be so very carefull with it.There will always be people =
who take advantage in a wrong way of a good possibillitie.There's much =
danger to take a decision too soon. In my case so much pain would n't =
have been necessary , if the doctor in the first hospital would have =
understood the results of the medical investigations he did on me. Also =
did i find out later ( by searching a lot about my disease on the =
internet ) that I was treated completely wrong in the first hospital, =
wich has caused me more pain.
So in my case the danger of taking a wrong decision was in the hospital =
itself.My luck was that I insisted on a second opinion in another =
hospital. Wich has to be a standard procedure in legal-killing, I think.
I have experienced that there can be a moment that an illness can make =
it unbearable to live on.I have also experienced that one can't be =
carefull enough in taking the decision to stop living.
Wich makes it in fact impossible to make that decision.
That's my opinion about "euthanasie", William. A person has the right to =
say : it's enough. But only on physical grounds.However, between having =
this right and using this right is a world of "but if.....".

Chris

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BFA8A2.CE3F81A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----=20
<DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A=20
href=3D"mailto:missdruk@planet.nl" =
title=3Dmissdruk@planet.nl>missdruk</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A href=3D"mailto:wtinker@fcgnetworks.net"=20
title=3Dwtinker@fcgnetworks.net>William Tinker</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Cc:</B> <A href=3D"mailto:wtinker@fcgnetworks.net"=20
title=3Dwtinker@fcgnetworks.net>William Tinker</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, April 16, 2000 7:24 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> care or kill</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Dear Wiliam,&nbsp;I have read your =
email"to care or=20
kill".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I&nbsp;did n't know about the study in =
my country.=20
But i do know about having so much pain that&nbsp;one considers to end =
it.=20
Especially when there's no hope for a cure, no more hope for a human =
worth=20
life.I have been there too. I will tell you about it later on in this=20
letter.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But first "human worth".That's a =
litterally=20
translation from our dutch word "menswaardig".It 's =
the&nbsp;edge/measure we use=20
for the animals we love.For instance a dog who has been someones pall =
for 14=20
years and appears to have&nbsp; cancer.In that case the owner asks =
himself :=20
will the dog be able to enjoy staying alive , will he be able to have a =
"human=20
worth"existance with this disease?(Strange that we ask that question =
when it=20
concerns an animal.)When the answer is "no", it is an accepted&nbsp; =
deed of=20
mercy&nbsp; to make the dog sleep forever. It is not an easy decision (I =
had to=20
make such a decision last october),but the owner of the dog comforts =
himself=20
with the thought that he saved his dog an awfull way to his =
end.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The difficulty is in specifying "human=20
worth"life.In the case of a dog, the specification is easier to make.To =
specify=20
the same for a human being is much more complicated.The dog has no other =
choice=20
than relying on our decision.A human being has a right to choose for =
himself.=20
But he 'd better be wise and subscribe the moment that life should have =
no more=20
meaning to him before that moment comes.He might not be capable to take =
the=20
decision anymore when it has to be decided (e.g. coma, severe brain=20
damage).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I can 't find the word "euthanasie" in =
the=20
dictionairy.It's from the ancient greek language. "Eu" means "good" and=20
"thanathos" means "death".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>When is it a good thing to let someone =
die?I think=20
that's different in each case.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It should n't be the task of the same =
doctor that=20
tried to cure someone.The safest way might be writing a kind of will =
when we are=20
still capable.Like we write codicils for the use of our organs when we =
are in=20
good health.(Maybe that's different in your country. We have socalled=20
donorcodicils.That gives permission to use the organs of the carrier of =
the=20
codicil after his death.)We can point a good friend for helping =
commiting=20
"euthansie" in case we are not capable to do it ourselves.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Yes, I think a man has the right to =
decide when his=20
life should be ended.But that decision has to be made for strictly =
physical=20
reasons and when one has full consiousness.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In '96 I was in the =
hospital&nbsp;because of a=20
disease of my nervous system. I was paralized and had awfull pains.I was =
getting=20
more pain each day. I did n't get a&nbsp; painkiller that really killed =
the=20
pain; not even a little bit.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The pain kept me awake day and night.I =
could n't=20
eat.The doctors could n't find the cause of my pain. They could n't do=20
anything&nbsp;to ease the pain a little .After 2 months I had so much =
pain that=20
I did n't want to see my children anymore.There was n't anything human =
left of=20
me and I did n't want my children to see me that way. I did n't want =
them to=20
have memories at me in the shape I was in at that moment.I said to =
myself :"This=20
is a pain I can't bear anymore.It's so much pain that there is no more =
room for=20
life.If it gets just a little more&nbsp;worse I will call an old friend =
of mine=20
, who works in a center for adicts, and I will ask him to bring me =
something to=20
take an overdose." </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Then I was brought to another hospital =
for a second=20
opinion.In a few days they had found the cause of my pain : my nervous =
system=20
was breaking down itself and broke the inside of my "electricity-wires =
"(you can=20
compare nerves with that : an isolating outside and a conducting inside. =

)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>In this second hospital the pain =
stopped growing.I=20
finally received a pain killer that pushed the pain to the background a =
few=20
hours a day and thus allowed me to sleep a little bit finally.So I did =
n't make=20
the call.But I did tell my friend about the plan I had and asked him to =
do it if=20
ever needed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>But one has to be so very carefull with =
it.There=20
will always be people who take advantage in a wrong way of a good=20
possibillitie.There's much danger to take a decision too soon. In my =
case so=20
much pain would n't have been necessary , if the doctor in the first =
hospital=20
would have understood the results of the medical investigations he did =
on me.=20
Also did i find out later ( by searching a lot about my disease on the =
internet=20
) that I was treated completely wrong in the first hospital, wich has =
caused me=20
more pain.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>So in my case the danger of taking a =
wrong decision=20
was in the hospital itself.My luck was that I&nbsp;insisted on a second =
opinion=20
in another hospital. Wich has to be a standard procedure in =
legal-killing, I=20
think.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have experienced that there can be a =
moment that=20
an illness can make it unbearable to live on.I have also experienced =
that one=20
can't be carefull enough in taking the decision to stop =
living.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Wich makes it in fact impossible to =
make that=20
decision.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>That's my opinion about "euthanasie", =
William. A=20
person has the right to say : it's enough. But only on physical =
grounds.However,=20
between having this right and using this right is a world of "but=20
if.....".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Chris</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001D_01BFA8A2.CE3F81A0--