[HPN] Seattle Tent Shelter updated news

mail.ids.net homey@ids.net
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 00:17:03 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01BFA414.6DC39A60

------=_NextPart_001_00AD_01BFA414.6DC39A60

Seattle homeless hold open house in tents for neighbors=20
Tuesday, April 11, 2000

-------
From The Associated Press=20

SEATTLE -- No drinking. No drugs. No weapons. No fights. Sobriety =
required. All residents must check in with security.=20

Those are the rules at an encampment of about 40 homeless people who =
held an open house for neighbors Sunday at their tent encampment in a =
vacant lot in the Mount Baker neighborhood.=20

About 10 nearby residents took them up on the invitation.=20

"We were curious," said Vital Imbent, who came with his wife, daughter =
and some neighbors. "We all got fliers, so we decided to walk down."=20

Pat Morton, a builder, who came by with his wife and two sons, said he =
believed a homeless person who threw up a tent near his home might have =
been responsible for the mugging of one of the boys, but he was =
impressed by the newly planted flowers, a sturdy bridge over the ditch =
and the tidiness of the encampment.=20

"This one seems well-controlled and organized," Morton said. "I feel =
better about this situation."=20

Neither the landowner nor city police have asked the homeless people to =
leave since they pitched their tents on March 31, a day before the =
shutdown of winter-only shelters in the city.=20

Officials estimate as many as 6,000 people are homeless in King County =
on any given night.=20

=BB Top   =BB Print this page   =BB Send to a friend

Copyright 2000 Oregon Live. All rights reserved. This material may not =
be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
=20
             TODAY'S HEADLINES=20

------=_NextPart_001_00AD_01BFA414.6DC39A60

Seattle homeless=20 hold open house in tents for neighbors

Tuesday, April 11, 2000

From The Associated Press

SEATTLE -- No drinking. No drugs. No weapons. No fights. Sobriety = required.=20 All residents must check in with security.=20

Those are the rules at an encampment of about 40 homeless people who = held an=20 open house for neighbors Sunday at their tent encampment in a vacant lot = in the=20 Mount Baker neighborhood.=20

About 10 nearby residents took them up on the invitation.=20

"We were curious," said Vital Imbent, who came with his = wife,=20 daughter and some neighbors. "We all got fliers, so we decided to = walk=20 down."=20

Pat Morton, a builder, who came by with his wife and two sons, said = he=20 believed a homeless person who threw up a tent near his home might have = been=20 responsible for the mugging of one of the boys, but he was impressed by = the=20 newly planted flowers, a sturdy bridge over the ditch and the tidiness = of the=20 encampment.=20

"This one seems well-controlled and organized," Morton = said.=20 "I feel better about this situation."=20

Neither the landowner nor city police have asked the homeless people = to leave=20 since they pitched their tents on March 31, a day before the shutdown of = winter-only shelters in the city.=20

Officials estimate as many as 6,000 people are homeless in King = County on any=20 given night.=20

Copyright 2000 Oregon = Live. All=20 rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, = rewritten, or=20 redistributed.

 TODAY'S=20 HEADLINES

------=_NextPart_001_00AD_01BFA414.6DC39A60-- ------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01BFA414.6DC39A60 Content-Type: image/gif Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-ID: <00a401bfa435$f4cd9940$dadfd49b@oemcomputer> R0lGODlhAQABALgAAP///wAAACH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAIf8LQUNST0dBVEUAAgAE //lP5gA7 ------=_NextPart_000_00AC_01BFA414.6DC39A60--