[HPN] helping the homeless

mail.ids.net homey@ids.net
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 00:07:09 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_008F_01BFA413.0B80FD80

Community learns how to help homeless
By Kelley Harp
Special to The Denver Post=20

April 10 - Dave Bowling spent the 1980s working as a high-level employee =
in a Fortune 500 company.=20

In 1994, Bowling was sleeping on the streets.=20

"If you think (homelessness) is something that cannot happen to you, I =
suggest you be careful with that thought," he said Sunday.=20

Bowling, a recovering alcoholic who is no longer homeless, was one =
speaker at the Compassion in Action Day Program at the St. Francis =
Center, meant to educate people about homelessness and how to help.=20

The program, sponsored by the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless and =
the Compassion in Action Task Force, brought together members of the =
faith community, homeless people and representatives from volunteer =
organizations.=20

"The goal is to bring folks into relationships with people that are =
homeless," said Mindy Klowden, manager of Community Outreach for the =
Colorado Coalition for the Homeless. "The faith community is being =
targeted because we know it is part of every major religion to care for =
those in need." Speakers urged the crowd to become part of the solution =
by volunteering and pushing legislators. The program educated people on =
how to get involved.=20

The lack of low-income housing is the biggest homeless issue facing =
Denver, said Tom Luehrs, executive director for St. Francis Center. The =
hourly wage needed to afford a two bedroom apartment in Denver is =
$12.77, according to the homeless coalition. In June 1998, about 5,750 =
people were homeless in the Denver metro area.=20

After spending about two years on the street, Bowling turned his faith =
from material possessions to a spiritual quest. He thanks God for =
homeless organizations, which he said ultimately saved his life.=20

"I'm here to suggest to you there is only one reason for homelessness. =
As a society, we do not care," Bowling said. "There's only one solution =
to homelessness, and that's a home. We put people on the moon, but we =
can't handle this. It's about time we stand up and speak out." For a =
list of volunteer opportunities to help the homeless, contact Klowden at =
303-293-2219, Ext. 1203.=20

------=_NextPart_000_008F_01BFA413.0B80FD80

Community learns how to help=20 homeless

By Kelley Harp
Special to=20 The Denver Post=20

April 10 - Dave Bowling spent the 1980s working as a = high-level=20 employee in a Fortune 500 company.=20

In 1994, Bowling was sleeping on the streets.=20

"If you think (homelessness) is something that cannot happen to = you, I=20 suggest you be careful with that thought," he said Sunday.=20

Bowling, a recovering alcoholic who is no longer homeless, was one = speaker at=20 the Compassion in Action Day Program at the St. Francis Center, meant to = educate=20 people about homelessness and how to help.=20

The program, sponsored by the Colorado Coalition for the Homeless and = the=20 Compassion in Action Task Force, brought together members of the faith=20 community, homeless people and representatives from volunteer = organizations.=20

"The goal is to bring folks into relationships with people that = are=20 homeless," said Mindy Klowden, manager of Community Outreach for = the=20 Colorado Coalition for the Homeless. "The faith community is being = targeted=20 because we know it is part of every major religion to care for those in=20 need." Speakers urged the crowd to become part of the solution by=20 volunteering and pushing legislators. The program educated people on how = to get=20 involved.=20

The lack of low-income housing is the biggest homeless issue facing = Denver,=20 said Tom Luehrs, executive director for St. Francis Center. The hourly = wage=20 needed to afford a two bedroom apartment in Denver is $12.77, according = to the=20 homeless coalition. In June 1998, about 5,750 people were homeless in = the Denver=20 metro area.=20

After spending about two years on the street, Bowling turned his = faith from=20 material possessions to a spiritual quest. He thanks God for homeless=20 organizations, which he said ultimately saved his life.=20

"I'm here to suggest to you there is only one reason for = homelessness.=20 As a society, we do not care," Bowling said. "There's only one = solution to homelessness, and that's a home. We put people on the moon, = but we=20 can't handle this. It's about time we stand up and speak out." For = a list=20 of volunteer opportunities to help the homeless, contact Klowden at=20 303-293-2219, Ext. 1203.

------=_NextPart_000_008F_01BFA413.0B80FD80--