[HPN] story from canada

mail.ids.net homey@ids.net
Wed, 12 Apr 2000 00:03:51 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01BFA412.95BFBA00

Ouch this really hurts!  Anyone know these folks from this artilce?

Tuesday, April 11, 2000=20
Home team hurting
Taxes rise despite squatters in area

By BILL KAUFMANN, CALGARY SUN
  When Chris Leinweber looks out his kitchen window, he frequently sees =
a homeless man in the Elbow River next to heaps of squatters' junk.=20

And the Roxboro resident wonders why the market value assessment (MVA) =
on his home continues to spiral upwards, while the desirability of his =
neighbourhood plummets with the presence of a nearby shantytown.=20

DON'T WANT SHANTYTOWN=20

"We're paying a very high price to live in that area and we shouldn't be =
subject to a shantytown," said Leinweber.=20

"We shouldn't have to submit to lice-infested couches."=20

Leinweber said this year's MVA on his Roxboro Rd. home has jumped =
$20,000, assessing his residence at a cool $650,000.=20

This year, he'll pay nearly $9,000 in property taxes -- up about $2,000 =
from The attractiveness of the riverside neighbourhood has been =
diminished in other ways by the homeless influx, he said.=20

"We can't let our children go down there and it's a city park being =
totally defaced," he said.=20

"But I do feel sorry for the homeless."=20

Leinweber said he's hauled squatters' belongings away from parkland next =
to his yard, only to see them reappear on Elbow Island in plain view of =
his kitchen.=20

"My kid can look out the window and see a man taking a leak and here we =
are, paying for a prime view," he said.=20

A cardboard shack has appeared beneath the nearby Mission Bridge.=20

"In the past, police have forced the squatters to move on, but they =
always return," he said.=20

Area Ald. Barry Erskine said there are no easy answers to the issue.=20

RETURN AFTER A FEW HOURS=20

"We've even had whole families living out there," he said.=20

"I guess we can step up (police) patrols, but they just move somewhere =
else or come back a few hours later."=20

------=_NextPart_000_0087_01BFA412.95BFBA00

Ouch this really hurts!  Anyone = know these=20 folks from this artilce?

Tuesday, April 11, 2000=20

Home team hurting

Taxes rise despite squatters in area

By BILL KAUFMANN, CALGARY SUN
  = When=20 Chris Leinweber looks out his kitchen window, he frequently sees a = homeless man=20 in the Elbow River next to heaps of squatters' junk.

And the = Roxboro=20 resident wonders why the market value assessment (MVA) on his home = continues to=20 spiral upwards, while the desirability of his neighbourhood plummets = with the=20 presence of a nearby shantytown.

DON'T WANT = SHANTYTOWN=20

"We're paying a very high price to live in that area and we = shouldn't be subject to a shantytown," said Leinweber. =

"We=20 shouldn't have to submit to lice-infested couches." =

Leinweber said=20 this year's MVA on his Roxboro Rd. home has jumped $20,000, assessing = his=20 residence at a cool $650,000.

This year, he'll pay nearly $9,000 = in=20 property taxes -- up about $2,000 from The attractiveness of the = riverside=20 neighbourhood has been diminished in other ways by the homeless influx, = he said.=20

"We can't let our children go down there and it's a city = park being=20 totally defaced," he said.

"But I do feel sorry for = the=20 homeless."

Leinweber said he's hauled squatters' belongings = away=20 from parkland next to his yard, only to see them reappear on Elbow = Island in=20 plain view of his kitchen.

"My kid can look out the window = and see=20 a man taking a leak and here we are, paying for a prime view," he = said.=20

A cardboard shack has appeared beneath the nearby Mission = Bridge.=20

"In the past, police have forced the squatters to move on, = but they=20 always return," he said.

Area Ald. Barry Erskine said there = are no=20 easy answers to the issue.

RETURN AFTER A FEW HOURS =

"We've=20 even had whole families living out there," he said.

"I = guess=20 we can step up (police) patrols, but they just move somewhere else or = come back=20 a few hours later."
------=_NextPart_000_0087_01BFA412.95BFBA00--