[HPN] My log

mail.ids.net homey@ids.net
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 22:23:26 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01BFA0DF.E46C09A0

Hi folks,

This is a part of an ongoing story i am writing, each day I will post a =
part to HPN.  It's my account of my journey ( a partial one) of =
traveling across the country to access shelter and how I was treated.  I =
thought this would be a proper forum for it, since we all share the same =
passions.  It's what I have been doing in my spare time, trying to =
access shelter in some of our cities.

Catalina

They say in life that the beginning is the end and the end the =
beginning, perhaps a circle. As I ponder my journey in life, I keep =
coming back to a simple circle. A cycle of never ending circles =
intertwining, concentric in their own nature. The conclusion of my =
journey to look at the very nature of homeless shelters, did not stop =
when I returned back to my home. In fact one can say that it was the =
beginning of a human journey.

In my travels with other homeless folks, I listened to horrifying =
stories of individuals giving up their dignity and basic rights to =
pursue shelter. At conferences across the country I listened to homeless =
individuals recount stories of beatings, discrimination, and violations =
of their basic human rights. All across our vast nation, each day I read =
of signs being posted, "no camping", "no loitering", and "no passing out =
of free food in the park". The recurring theme over and over again by =
popular culture, "homeless people can go to a shelter" and "those people =
do not want to work". On a cold winter=92s day in November of 1999, I =
went out to test the shelter theory, "Was there really shelter for a =
homeless individual in my own community?"

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01BFA0DF.E46C09A0

Hi folks,

This is a part of an ongoing story i am writing, each = day I will=20 post a part to HPN.  It's my account of my journey ( a partial one) = of=20 traveling across the country to access shelter and how I was = treated.  I=20 thought this would be a proper forum for it, since we all share the same = passions.  It's what I have been doing in my spare time, trying to = access=20 shelter in some of our cities.

Catalina

They say in life that the beginning is the end and the end the = beginning,=20 perhaps a circle. As I ponder my journey in life, I keep coming back to = a simple=20 circle. A cycle of never ending circles intertwining, concentric in = their own=20 nature. The conclusion of my journey to look at the very nature of = homeless=20 shelters, did not stop when I returned back to my home. In fact one can = say that=20 it was the beginning of a human journey.

In my travels with other homeless folks, I listened to horrifying = stories of=20 individuals giving up their dignity and basic rights to pursue shelter. = At=20 conferences across the country I listened to homeless individuals = recount=20 stories of beatings, discrimination, and violations of their basic human = rights.=20 All across our vast nation, each day I read of signs being posted, = "no=20 camping", "no loitering", and "no passing out of = free food=20 in the park". The recurring theme over and over again by popular = culture,=20 "homeless people can go to a shelter" and "those people = do not=20 want to work". On a cold winter’s day in November of 1999, I = went out=20 to test the shelter theory, "Was there really shelter for a = homeless=20 individual in my own community?"

------=_NextPart_000_005B_01BFA0DF.E46C09A0--