[HPN] virus apparently hoax; here are some recommended virus-cehck sites sites

et prop1@prop1.org
Mon, 03 Apr 2000 13:57:14 -0400

--=====================_51480150==_.ALT

Here are some of the responses I received to my virus inquiry; thanks, folks,
glad to know where to check before forwarding next time....

Ellen Thomas
prop1@prop1.org

-----------

The Win A Holiday virus is a hoax. See:
http://kumite.com/myths/myths/#H or
http://www.stiller.com/holiday.htm
The Wobbler/California virus is a hoax, also. See:
http://www.datafellows.com/hoaxes/wobbhoax.htm
I always check the http://kumite.com/myths/ site when I hear of a "virus."
I have yet to discover a real virus announced over email in 5 years.

David Raeker-Jordan
rkrjrdn@epix.net
Harrisburg Pennsylvania USA

-------

This is a hoax, as every one of these "warning messages" are.
See:
http://www.av.ibm.com/Alert/wobbler.html
You CANNOT get an email virus from simply READING an email, ONLY from OPENING
an ATTACHMENT.
-Joseph Badura
:)
Citizens for Alternatives to Chemical Contamination
<cacceco@earthlink.net>

---------
From: "Dr. Ralph N. Singer" <singralf@erols.com>

Most of these messages have been circulating in the web for some
time. They begin to have a life of their own. It is not bad to inform your
friends of such nasty things, but in general, by the time you are informed
it is already too late. I was hit by a nasty duplicating virus last year. It
was an expensive lesson to maintain virus files and run checks at least
weekly. I was fortunate to have a geek that was very skilled and he saved
all my archives.
Search the web for wobbler and see what you find,
RS

------

wobbler is no virus, it is a hoax.
see: http://www.Europe.F-Secure.com/hoaxes/wobbhoax.htm
If in doubt in the future, search this site: http://www.datafellows.com/
or any other anti virus site. Hoaxes are almost more common
than viruses.
Regards, Christian Rekkedal for The Bellona Foundation
Fax: +47 22383862 Phone: +47 23234600
Snail mail: BELLONA, Box 2141 Grunerlokka, N-0505 Oslo, Norway
Email: bellona@bellona.no WWW: http://www.bellona.no/

------

One thing I can tell you, if you're using Netscape Communicator, you don't
have to worry about the email virii mailing themselves to people in your
address book. If you're using MS Outlook, Outlook Express, or Exchange, you do
have to worry.
Also, here's a good site for hoax and virus info.
http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html
Hope this helps.. long read..
Got this from this site: http://vil.nai.com/villib/alpha.asp

  * Peace Through Reason - http://prop1.org - Convert the War Machines! *