[HPN] Fwd: ****ALERT: San Francisco's Shelter Redesign Plan

Coalition on Homelessness, SF coh@sfo.com
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 00:23:04 -0800

--============_-1257458684==_ma============

> [...]
>
>CAAP grant cuts  and redesign of current shelter system
>Homeless CAAP recipients (according to DHS, approximately 3000
>people) through referrals made by the Access Team, will be placed at
>MSC South, MSC North and Episcopal Sanctuary. Mats on the floor will
>be provided to people who are waiting for a bed to open up, for
>those on presumptive eligibility, and for those people whose
>benefits are pending.
>
>Shelters would deduct fees from public assistance grants for beds.
>Out of grants between $287 to $355, people would end up with $60 a
>month to live on. This plan would eliminate a current cornerstone of
>the homeless program in San Francisco, since people would no longer
>be able to save up money to move into permanent housing.
>
>Although shelter residents would be paying rent, DHS is not talking
>about granting tenant rights to shelter residents.
>
>People who are in informal housing situations, such as those paying
>rent to friends, or those unrecognized by landlords, would be deemed
>"homeless" if they could not produce a bona fide rent receipt. We
>can only assume these people are going to be forced to utilize the
>"Front End" shelter system.
>
>The proposal would put even more power into the hands of CAAP
>eligibility workers. CAAP would now attach shelter to grants, and if
>someone loses their benefits they lose their shelter as well.
>
>According to DHS, 71% of shelter residents do not receive CAAP.
>This includes undocumented immigrants, SSI recipients, and those who
>have no income or are working.  Non-CAAP recipients will be forced
>into the four following shelters:
>
>1. Dolores Street Community Services	100 beds (additional 20 in winter)
>2. Central City Hospitality House		30 beds  (additional
>5 in winter)
>3. A Man's Place				75 beds (additional
>50 in winter)
>4. A Woman's Place			50 beds
>
>In a limited study conducted by DHS, non-CAPP recipients filled 809
>(71%) of the beds in our shelter system. This plan will leave those
>people with only 255 beds, and only 50 of those beds will be
>available for women.
>
>Shelter beds would no longer be available through the lottery
>system. Shelter residency will not be dictated by fair game, but by
>source and amount of income.
>
>The new shelter system, the end of lottery, and the first CAAP
>grants cut is planned to be implemented on October 2nd, 2000.
>
>Master Lease Hotels
>Homeless SSI recipients and PAES graduates will be put into
>master-leased SRO hotels; they named the Vincent Hotel, the
>Hartland, and the LeNaine. The first hotel is projected to open
>under the planned master-lease program on April 21st, 2000.
>
>Many of these rooms are already occupied, and in order for this plan
>to work it must displace current tenants. Hotel conditions are
>horrible, and the buildings are not fully accessible for people with

468 Turk St.
San Francisco, CA 94102
vox: (415) 346.3740
Fax: (415) 775.5639
coh@sfo.com
http://www.sfo.com/~coh
--============_-1257458684==_ma============

<excerpt>Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 19:10:56 -0800

To: coh@sfo.com

=46rom: "Coalition on Homelessness, SF" <<coh@sfo.com>

Subject: ****ALERT: San Francisco's Shelter Redesign Plan

Cc:=20

[...]
susan_mizner@ci.sf.ca.us, oshsf@aol.com =20

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

of San Francisco's=20

Shelter Redesign Plan

r><bigger><italic>Some
Basic Facts

</italic></bigger>April 2, 2000

</bigger>On March 21, 2000, the Coalition on Homelessness submitted a
=46reedom of Information Act request letter to the City demanding
information relating to plans we've heard bits and pieces about
regarding redesigning San Francisco's Homeless Program. This document
is our attempt to inform our members and the public what we have
learned from their response.

=46or over a year, the City has been holding a series of secret planning
meetings to completely redesign San Francisco's shelter system -
eliminating homeless people's ability to walk into a shelter and get a
bed, or for front line outreach and service staff to refer anyone
directly into a shelter bed.

The City's plan mandates that all people attempting to access the
shelter system must contact an "Access Team" for assessment and intake,
be screened for GA, and then be referred to the "Coordinated Care Team"
for a shelter bed - a shelter bed for which people will then be
compelled to pay all but $60.00 of their meager monthly income.

Concurrently, over the past year there have also been hundreds of
community meetings arranged and staffed by City employees from the
Department of Human Services, the Mayor's office and the Department of
Public Health.=20

Most recently, there has been a community process to design and site a
drop-in center in the Mission District involving the community, service
providers and homeless people. While all those people have volunteered
probably thousands of hours designing the procedures and program
components of a resource center, uncovered documents show that San
=46rancisco city employees have simultaneously held
<italic>private</italic> meetings with paid consultants for over a year
(many of these within the secluded confines of Treasure Island) with
the goal of completely designing their <italic>own</italic> shelter
system.=20

This not only reveals an utter indifference for all the good faith
efforts community members are making, but also serves to discredit
those people who have supported the current City efforts, making them
look like liars in neighborhoods where public meetings have been held
to site homeless programs.

=46or the past several years the City has also staffed an official
governmental body created through legislation passed by San Francisco's
Board of Supervisors and signed by the Mayor. The Local Homeless
Coordinating Board (an initiative of the U.S. Department of Housing and
Urban Development - HUD) was created to <italic>"ensure the
accountability and oversight of the proposed system of programs,
policies and services"</italic> of local homeless programs. The Local
[...]

example.=20

=46or over a year the Mayor's Office on Homelessness, the Dept. of Human
Services and the Dept. of Public Health have been lying to and
maliciously deceiving all of us - withholding information from the
Board of Supervisors, the Local Homeless Coordinating Board, the
Treatment on Demand Planning Council, the religious leaders who opened
two separate winter shelter programs, the media, the public, homeless
people, and, judging by some of the uncovered documents, each other.

The following is our attempt, after reviewing the documents we received
to inform people of the City's intentions. The components listed below
were repeated often enough and were obviously being set up for
implementation. Please note: while the City tells us they are
withholding at least four documents, we've heard through the grapevine
that others are being shredded.=20

<bold>Access Team

</bold>The "Access Team" will become the only intake point. All initial
[...]

<bold>Coordinated Care Team

</bold>The "Access Team" transmits intake and assessment forms to the
"Coordinated Care Team." This team "coordinates" a person's case plan
by working with case managers at the shelter. This will include a
"money management" component to <italic>"support both working people
and other populations in managing their resources"</italic>. We can
assume this is where the rents will be collected. Apparently, they plan
to model themselves after the Citywide Case Management and MOST systems
with staff who are hired to coordinate the case plans of all the
various case managers at the shelters. A system-wide intensive case
management plan is repeatedly referred to as the goal of this shelter
REDESIGN plan and apparently the "Coordinated Care Team" is supposed to
ensure that this is happening.=20

<bold>New Shelter

</bold>After being referred by the "Access Team," people would be sent
to a new 250-300 bed shelter facility for single adults that will be
built in the Bayview. This will then serve as the "Front End" shelter
for homeless people. From this new Bayview shelter, people would be
sent through the "Coordinated Care Team" to existing "specialized"
shelters. Placement of the "Front End" shelter in the Bayview is
clearly designed to eliminate the presence of homeless people in the
downtown area. Another primary stated goal in this shelter "Redesign"
plan is to "reduce the visibility" of homeless people. The new shelter
is planned to open on July 2nd, 2001.

<bold>CAAP grant cuts  and redesign of current shelter system

</bold>Homeless CAAP recipients (according to DHS, approximately 3000
people) through referrals made by the Access Team, will be placed at
MSC South, MSC North and Episcopal Sanctuary. Mats on the floor will be
provided to people who are waiting for a bed to open up, for those on
presumptive eligibility, and for those people whose benefits are
pending.=20

Shelters would deduct fees from public assistance grants for beds. Out
of grants between $287 to $355, people would end up with $60 a month to
live on. This plan would eliminate a current cornerstone of the
homeless program in San Francisco, since people would no longer be able
to save up money to move into permanent housing.

Although shelter residents would be paying rent, DHS is not talking
about granting tenant rights to shelter residents.

People who are in informal housing situations, such as those paying
rent to friends, or those unrecognized by landlords, would be deemed
"homeless" if they could not produce a <italic>bona fide</italic> rent
[...]

<bold>Master Lease Hotels

</bold>Homeless SSI recipients and PAES graduates will be put into
master-leased SRO hotels; they named the Vincent Hotel, the Hartland,
and the LeNaine. The first hotel is projected to open under the planned
master-lease program on April 21st, 2000.

Many of these rooms are already occupied, and in order for this plan to
work it <underline>must</underline> displace current tenants. Hotel
conditions are horrible, and the buildings are not fully accessible for
people with disabilities.  =20

468 Turk St.

San Francisco, CA 94102

vox: (415) 346.3740